West Virginia NewspapersConnect to Collection
The West Virginia and Regional History Center holds the largest collection of historical West Virginia newspapers in existence, dating from 1791 to the present. We have a large collection of microfilmed newspapers, some physical copies of newspapers, and some digitized newspapers that are available online.
Find out about West Virginia newspapers available online.
Find out about West Virginia newspapers available in person at the WVRHC.
Available to the Public through Chronicling America:
Some of our West Virginia newspaper holdings can be accessed online through the Chronicling America website hosted by the Library of Congress. A list of newspapers currently available is below, organized by city--more will be coming soon!
- Kanawha Valley Star (March 2, 1858 and March 19, 1861 issues)
- The Labor Argus (May 24, 1906 - Dec. 28, 1911 issues)
- Spirit of Jefferson (Sept. 27, 1844 - Dec. 25, 1900 issues)
- The Clarksburg Telegram (Jan. 20, 1893 - Dec. 26, 1912)
- Cooper’s Clarksburg Register (Nov. 12, 1851 - Nov. 19, 1858 issues)
- The Daily Telegram (Dec. 11, 1902 - Dec. 31, 1916 issues)
- The Sunday Telegram. (Nov. 29, 1914 - Dec. 31, 1916 issues)
- The Fairmont West Virginian (April 19, 1904 - Dec. 30, 1922 issues)
- American Union (Civil War paper printed by Union troops, July 4-11, 1861)
- Monongalia Mirror (Jan. 03, 1852 - June 23, 1855 issues)
- American Union (continuation of the Monongalia Mirror, issues coming soon!)
- The Point Pleasant Register (April 7, 1909 - Dec. 28, 1910 issues)
- The Weekly Register (March 6, 1862 - Jan. 27, 1909 issues)
- La Sentinella del West Virginia (Feb. 18, 1911 - May 11, 1912 issues)
- The Democrat (Dec. 1, 1868 - Dec. 28, 1874 issues)
- The Weston Democrat (Jan. 4, 1875 - Dec. 25, 1880 issues)
- Wheeling Daily Intelligencer (August 24, 1852 - November 11, 1859 issues)
- Daily Intelligencer (November 12, 1859 - June 24, 1865 issues)
- The Wheeling Daily Intelligencer (June 26, 1865 - December 31, 1900 at present, more will be added)
Available to the public through Google News:
- The Morgan Messenger, 1980-2009, sporadic
- Farmers Advocate, 1938 - 1948
- Spirit of Jefferson Farmer's Advocate, 1949 - 1953
- The Spirit of Thanksgiving, 2005 - 2008, sporadic
- Wirt County Journal, 2006 - 2009, sporadic
- Glenville Democrat, 1978 - 2009, sporadic
- Hinton News, 1945 - 2009, sporadic
- Mountain Messenger, 2005 - 2009, sporadic
- Grant County Press, 1944 - 2009, sporadic
- The Pennsboro News, 1979 - 2009, sproadic
- St. Marys Oracle, 1952 - 2009, sporadic
- Braxton Citizens' News, 2005 - 2009, sporadic
- The Brooke County Review, 1994 - 2009, sporadic
- The Preston County Journal, 2005 - 2009, sporadic
- Williamson Daily News, 1948 - 2000, sporadic
Additional Websites of WV Newspapers:
This webpage lists various sites (free and subscription-based) which host WV newspaper content: http://www.cyndislist.com/us/wv/newspapers/
Available to WVU Community Members:
These databases are available on-campus to anyone in the WVRHC, and are available off-campus to current WVU-Morgantown students, faculty, and staff.
Full-text U.S. newspapers, including 26 from West Virginia. Includes staff-written articles, obituaries, editorials, announcements, real estate and other sections.
Newspaper Source (Courtesy of WVInfoDepot)
Includes the Morgantown Dominion Post plus cover-to-cover full text for 28 national(US) and international newspapers and selected full text for more than 260 regional newspapers. Provided by the West Virginia Library Commission with funds from the WV State Legislature and the Library Services and Technology Act administered by the Institute of Library and Museum Services.
Most of the WVRHC newspaper collection is on microfilm and can be found by searching our online catalog (see Searching for Newspapers, below).
Some of the newspapers that were microfilmed only had a few issues per paper – these can be found in our “Miscellaneous Newspaper Microfilm,” which is not searchable through our online catalog. The index to the WVRHC Miscellaneous Newspaper Microfilm is available here.
We also have special edition newspapers as well as a few out of state and foreign newspapers on microfilm. The index to the special edition newspaper microfilm is here. The index to the out of state and foreign newspaper microfilm is here.
In addition to microfilmed newspapers, the WVRHC also has some original newspapers, which are not listed in the online catalog. A list of these newspapers can be found here in our WVRHC Original Newspaper List.
If you have trouble using either of these resources, you can call the WVRHC at 1-304-293-3536.
Need an Obituary or Article?
If you are looking for a specific obituary or article but cannot visit us in person, contact us! To request an obituary search, tell us the name, exact date, and place of death. To request an article, tell us the title or subject, date, and newspaper you want us to search. Staff can conduct a limited search for a fee of $20, payable whether or not the search is successful.
Users can research the Center's holdings using the WVU Libraries' online catalog, WorldCat.
To determine newspaper holdings for a particular West Virginia city or town, combine the word 'newspaper' with the name of the town in a keyword search. Example: charleston newspaper. Then in the Formats box on the left side of the screen, check the "Newspaper" box.
Alternatively, start with the WorldCat Advanced Search. In the Keyword box, type the name of the city and/or newspaper. In the Formats dropdown menu, select "Newspaper".
If you do not find the results you are looking for, help is available in the library at service desks or online at Ask a Librarian.
Current issues of West Virginia newspapers are available in the Periodicals Department on the 2nd level of the Downtown Library Complex until they are transferred to the WVRHC. For a list of currently received newspaper titles, please see the West Virginia Newspapers: Current Subscriptions. The list includes links to websites for West Virginia newspapers.
The Charleston newspapers are the only papers that are indexed on a regular basis. Please see Charleston Newspapers' News Library for access to this index. Also, the Charleston Newspaper Index from 1973 to 1988 is available in book format. Other indexes available in book format are for Clarksburg newspapers for the years 1810 to 1825, Kanawha Valley newspapers from 1855 to 1865, the Martinsburg Gazette published from 1810 to 1855, and Mannington newspapers from 1890 to 1899.
Because of the high demand for access to the newspaper collection, only duplicate reels of newspaper microfilm are available through Interlibrary Loan. Please see our Interlibrary Loan page for our Duplicate Microfilm Inventories.
Duplicate copies of West Virginia newspaper microfilms that were microfilmed by the WVU Libraries may be available at a charge of $75 per roll, and can be ordered using the Microfilm Reproduction Request Form.
The WVRHC has digitized a select few of its microfilm reels; the digital copies are available to view at the Center.
- Buckhannon: Record Delta, January-June 1994
- Chapmanville: Guyandotte Voice, January-December 1994
- Hamlin: Lincoln Journal, January-December 1994
- Holden: Four Wing News, December 10, 1942 â€“ June 23, 1949
- Madison: Coal Valley News, January-December 1992
- Weston: Weston Democrat, January-December 1994